The main product categories in the report include Apparel, Footwear, Backpacks, Sleeping Bags, Tents, Climbing and Outdoor Accessories and these seven product categories are split into a further 48 sub-categories. This has been made possible with the introduction of a secure online platform – europeanoutdoorfacts.com
The report is based on to two data sources:
Primary information – wholesale sell-in figures submitted by each participating company on a 100% confidentiality basis.
Secondary information – brand gap analysis. The purpose of the gap analysis is to provide market estimates for the brands that do not participate in the report. The gap analysis draws on industry expertise and publicly available data and research. The combined total of the primary and secondary information is used to compile an overall market size for the outdoor industry based on the EOG market definition of outdoor products.
- The State of Trade Report is funded by the EOG. The project is open to all relevant brands, including retail brands (own label) trading in Europe and the resulting market data is provided free of charge to participants.
- Participating brands provide their sales data at wholesale level in value and volume by country, sub-category and season. This is on a 100% confidential basis through the secure online platform europeanoutdoorfacts.com.
- Data collection begins in February each year after brands have closed their books for the previous year.
- An independent third party Notary Public is signed up to the project to manage the confidentiality of the project and to ensure that there is no visibility of which brand has supplied information.
- Data collection closes at the end of April and data analysis begins. This is conducted by EOG and a research partner and neither have any knowledge or access to which brand has supplied specific data.
- The final online report is made available during Quarter 3.
- Subject to participants meeting the data collection deadline, top level market figures will be presented at the OutDoor trade show in July each year.
Share the success
It’s not too late to join the project going forward and benefit by contributing on a confidential basis. EOG membership is not a condition of participation and relevant non-members can take part. Brands who sign up to supply data will need to agree to terms and conditions and ideally sign up for a minimum of three years.
To join the programme please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are also available at trade shows and other events to discuss the market research project. If you would like to meet in person please contact email@example.com.